Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Polyarticular Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis

Wow what a month, we went from almost doing eye surgery (getting two other opinions, saying they would not do it, so we are holding off, at least for now) to finding out our daughter has arthritis. Well we often commented on her running a little funny, or how her ankles, wrists, fingers seemed to be bigger than normal, (but we figured it was all normal and just her) And of course the whole reason we found it was her swollen knee(hence the sedation clip in last post) Come to find out it is a much more serious condition. So after much talking, praying, fasting, and i guess just accepting it, we are moving forward and hope all will work out for the best. We are putting her in a study that is going on around the country in hopes of attacking the autoimmune illness and being in remission within a year. They new evidence or what they believe is that it has not been treated aggressively in the past, so it lingers too long and causes damage to the cartilage and joints. So they want to be very aggressive from the start, JUST HOPE IT WORKS! anyway we will do monthly visits, blood work, and weekly injections and daily meds. Which has been the hardest to accept that i will have to give and do painful things to my mostly innocent 3 year old. She is tough and we will make it , but any prayers you want to throw our way are welcome!

13 comments:

Hazen5 said...

We will be thinking of you guys as you go through these trying times! We hope everything goes well.

Meghan said...

Lacey, we will be praying for you guys. I know God will give you the strength you need to be all that Lizzy needs during this time.

ashley said...

wow, lacey, that is crazy! i am happy to hear they know what is going on, and now i just pray that she will be taken care of- poor girl! and that will be hard for you to do too, but it's all for the best right? love you guys and good luck!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! Poor Lizzy! I will pray for her and you guys.

Monica said...

The good thing is that you know what it is and how to treat it right!? I am thinking of you and your family during this crazy time! Hang in there

Megan said...

Wow, that poor girl has been through more medical stuff in her life than most adults! You guys will get through it though and everything will turn out fine! It's good that you guys are catching all this stuff early though. It would be much worse to deal with if she was older.

We'll keep her, and all of you, in our prayers!

Stephanie said...

I am so sorry you guys! I cannot imagine...we will keep you all in our prayers and be thinking of you.

Candice said...

I am so sorry that Lizzy has to go through this. It seems like you have some great doctors and a great outlook on things. Hopefully that will help it to be a little easier, but I know as a parent it's got be the hardest thing in the world to hear that your baby needs medical attention. I will definitely keep her in our prayers. How could I not, she is the sweetest little thing.
Hope your doing ok. If you ever need anything please please let me know.

Sincerely,
The Stowells

Jessica said...

Oh little Lizzy -- we will be praying for you. I am so sad I missed the girls get together. Kevin was in Vegas. Hopefully in March! How are you feeling? I will call you tomorrow!

heidi said...

what eye surgery were they wanting to do on little lizzy? who would have thought that arthritis was in her cards? wow--make sure they always give her that good laughing medicine so you can smile throughout all of the craziness. you are definitely in our prayers. when is little man due?

Marcie said...

So sorry- sweet Lizzie! You are in our prayers. She is an angel and all will be well!

Smiths said...

Oh man. This stinks, but thank heavens for modern medicine. I hope you see improvements soon and that Lizzy can still do her cute Lizzy dance:) Taj does it from time to time, but hasn't quite mastered it. We love you guys! Good luck this month with number two on the way

Brooke said...

Oh honey. I'm so sorry. I feel a little like I know where you are at. It hurts so bad when your baby hurts. Josh had eye surgery a couple of months ago and it was so hard to watch, and then watch recovery and follow-ups etc. He has had 4 MRI's for hearing loss and a brain cyst (which is ok for now). Where he was sedated and sick for days after.I'm not comparing my situation to yours

but, my point being, it is so hard as a mother to watch your child go through hard times. I know you would do it for her if you could. You have a hard road ahead, but you are strong and you will have to be.

Just know that your family is in my prayers. Sorry I saw this post so late. Update me soon!

Love ya girl! Hang in there!